The COVID-19 crisis has affected nearly every single aspect of our lives. As a pet owner, you may be wondering how you can stay safe and make sure your pet is cared for. Here are three facts we want to share with you during this unprecedented time.
#1: Rely on reputable sources for current COVID-19 information
While you can turn to Facebook for insider information on where to find toilet paper, avoid using social media as your main source about COVID-19. Instead, rely on major animal and human health organizations for the most current, accurate research about this evolving situation. A few reputable sources include:
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Organization for Animal Health (OIE)
#2: There is no evidence to indicate pets can become ill with COVID-19
A major veterinary diagnostic laboratory tested thousands of canine and feline samples for COVID-19 when validating a veterinary test, but found no positive results. Additionally, the CDC and WHO have received zero reports of a pet who was ill from COVID-19. Based on the current evidence, health officials have declared there is no indication that pets can become sick from COVID-19. So, your coughing dog is likely not sick with COVID-19, but another disease, such as kennel cough, congestive heart failure, or a collapsing trachea.
#3: We’re taking every precaution to protect you and our team while still keeping your pet healthy
As a vital part of the health care community, we will remain open and continue to provide important medical care for your pet. As this situation continues to unfold, we may make protocol changes to protect everyone involved. Here are a few changes already in effect:
- Adjusted services — Please understand at this time we are deferring non-urgent appointments.
- Curbside service — Medications and food will be available for in-clinic or curbside pick up. Our door will be locked when you arrive, and a registered technician will come to you. If you have recently travelled or are under self-isolation, please do not come to our facility – we can arrange alternative measures.
- Increased sanitation — We have increased our already rigorous sanitation routines, and are more frequently wiping down doorknobs, counters, and commonly used items.
You can read more about our COVID-19 protocols here.
Your health, your pet’s health, and our employees’ health are our utmost concern. Stay safe and healthy! Please contact us with any questions or concerns!