Do you like to garden? Are you trying out gardening for the first time? Whether you’re a seasoned green thumb or new to the activity, tending to plants is a great way to relax. Just make sure your peaceful time in the yard doesn’t turn into a scary emergency by protecting your pet from these common toxins.

  1. Slug and snail baits — Are slugs and snails a problem in your yard? If you have a pet, avoid the use of slug and snail baits that contain metaldehyde, a chemical that is highly poisonous to dogs and cats. Signs of metaldehyde ingestion include restlessness, salivation, seizures, tremors, vomiting, and a high fever that can result in death.
  2. Compost — Composting is good for the environment, but not so good for your pet. As the organic matter in compost decomposes, moulds will grow. Some of these moulds produce tremorgenic mycotoxins. If your pet gets into mouldy compost, he might experience panting, agitation, drooling, vomiting, tremors, and seizures.
  3. Cocoa mulch — Made of discarded cocoa bean shells, cocoa mulch, has a tempting chocolate-like smell that can attract dogs. Because the discarded shells are the byproducts of chocolate production, they can contain theobromine and caffeine, the two ingredients in chocolate that are harmful to dogs. If your dog consumes a mulch variety with higher levels of the toxins, he could experience diarrhea, vomiting, hyperactivity, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and even death.
  4. Pesticides and insecticides — Watch for pesticides or insecticides that contain organophosphates, which are often found in systemic rose care products. Ingestion of even a small amount of a product containing this chemical can be life-threatening for your pet.
  5. Meal-based fertilizers — Most fertilizers won’t harm your pets, but those containing bone meal, blood meal, or feather meal can be tempting to dogs and can cause problems when ingested. If too much is consumed, a concentration in the stomach can form, potentially obstructing the gastrointestinal tract and causing pancreatitis. 

And, of course, some of the most common outdoor toxins for our pets are flowers and plants. Not sure about some of the plants in your yard? Contact us for assistance.

If you suspect that your pet has ingested any of these, do not wait for symptoms to begin to reach out. Call us immediately at 519-941-7690